Thursday, July 13, 2006

And so it grows...pi shawl 2

Ah, the fruits of one's creative labor...not always what one expected. :-D So, the pi shawl is slowly growing and now reaches from shoulder to shoulder (a lovely 17 inches in diameter - 55 inches to go). That's the good news. It is still soft and pliable. More good news. Also the crochet, while not lace, is creating a nice texture. Still good news.



Now for the bad news. If you look closely at the picture above you will notice that it is slightly wedge shaped at the top. It seems as I work to be growing to a size larger than that of a circle! By letting it rest and smoothing it in all directions I was able to get it almost flat again (picture left). Can anyone out there tell me if this is normal? I've asked two people who have knit Elizabeth Zimmereman's pi shawl and one says it will be bigger than a circle and the other says it should lay flat. (????) I'll be keeping an eagle eye and may try inserting an extra increase row in the next sequence of working even. The thought of working all the way to the next increase which is 48 rows away only to frog back to make it lay flat again is giving me horrors. Guess I'll just have to dig in and see how it goes! Any suggestions from the more experienced out there would be much appreciated. Thanks!

No comments: