Sunday, January 14, 2007

Of Yarn and Washcloths


Simple Moss Stitch Washcloth
Hook Size H
Foundation: Ch 32 (or any desired multiple of 2)

Row 1: Sc in fourth chain from hook, [dc in next ch, sc in next chain] across. Turn.
Row 2: Chain 3 (counts as first dc), sc in first dc, [dc in next sc, sc in next dc] across. Last sc will be into the turning chain of the previous row. Turn.
Repeat row 2 until piece is square. End off and weave in ends.

The Story
This was truly an adventure in crochet! It began with this which quickly inspired me to try a crochet version. I had some Manos Cotton in my stash and having no idea what stitch to use tried basket weave. It was a resounding failure as far as appearance goes:

Clearly it did not retain its shape! The up side? INCREDIBLE softness.

So the search was on for a yarn and stitch that would work better. The stitch I finally settled on was Moss Stitch which yielded a slightly bumpy texture and thirsty cloth. Which yarn was best? For maintaining shape when hung over a towel rack to dry, absorbency, and a medium softness: Cotton Tots by Bernat!

Second place goes to the Cotonade. It has similar absorbency, but is a bit rougher and the space between the stitches opens up a bit more than the Cotton Tots. It will maintain shape fairly well and would be great if you want a wash cloth with a slight exfoliating quality.

Third place goes to the Manos Cotton. It is first in softness and the best for a facecloth. However, it will not hold its shape well and opens up quite a bit after use. Still usable? YES. Beautiful? Not so much.

So, which one am I using? All of them of course!

I'll end this with a question. I was considering making baby size wash cloths for the three babies soon to be born in my family. My only concern is the weight of these cloths when wet. I noticed that baby washcloths are very thin. Is this for safety do you think? Thanks for your input and enjoy the pattern!

4 comments:

Gina House said...

Love the washcloths...crocheted ones look better than knit ones, I think. As for the baby thinness....I always preferred the thinner washcloths with my kids and I don't know why. I used them more than the thicker ones. It might be the texture or maybe that the thicker ones were a bit harsher on the bum??

Anonymous said...

I don't know that the thinner ones are an issue of safety, but I also preferred them. They are easier to rinse out: very important with angry squirmy wormy in the baby tub! :)

(found your link through CT, btw)

Crafty Things said...

Thanks for the very nice pattern. I would much rather crochet and your pattern was found just in the nick of time - I was just about to start a knitted moss stitch design. Thanks for sharing so generously.

Anonymous said...

What a Marvelous Piece of Work!
Lather Clothsq