Friday, February 02, 2007

Silent Poetry Reading

In reading blogs today I came across the Silent Poetry Reading and just had to join in! Here is a poem I had to memorize in high school. It was much more fun to stand up and act out than the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet which was also on the memorization list! It still makes me laugh to remember those of us that were willing to ham it up. Enjoy.


One Perfect Rose
by Dorothy Parker

A single flow’r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet --
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret;
“My fragile leaves,” it said, “his heart enclose.”
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it’s always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember memorizing only 1 piece in high school: Hamlet's Soliloquy (boy, I had to stop and look that one up - I haven't written it in so long it looks like it is spelt wrong, even looking at it in the dictionary). Anyway, the teacher split it up between me and another girl so I didn't even have to memorize the whole thing. But I got an A+ and she got an A - I read it with more feeling. Still love the piece.

YarnThing said...

Great Poem

MarlyKnits
www.knitthing.blogspot.com

Gina House said...

Loved that poem, Gigi!